Broccoli, Cauliflower and Cheddar Soup
Fall is one of my favorite times of year. I love the clothing, boots, home decor, fall candles, pumpkin beer... but most importantly I love the food! I am a bit obsessed with hearty, fall meals that are easy to prepare and use ingredients you probably already have in your pantry.
Check out this delicious recipe below, you can freeze this as well!
1 head broccoli, cut up into small florets
1 head cauliflower, cut up into small florets
1 medium yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 whole carrot, finely chopped
2 cups 2% milk
6 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup corn starch (plus a 3/4 cup water for dissolving)
3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1.5 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 bay leaves
1 tbsp olive oil
1. Wash and dry your vegetables, chop up broccoli and cauliflower in small florets, set aside.
2. Dice onion, carrot and mince garlic. Using a large soup pot or dutch oven, add olive oil to the pan and sauté onion and carrot for 5 minutes on medium heat. Add garlic last, be carful not to burn the garlic.
3. Add chicken stock to the pot, then add milk. Whisk corn starch and water in a separate cup until dissolved, then whisk into soup. Boil on low for 5 minutes until soup seems to thicken.
4. Add bay leaves, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Then add broccoli and cauliflower to the pot, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cover with a lid. Stir the soup often and becarful not to burn the milk.
5. If the veggies are cut small enough they should be cooked through in about 15 minutes. Once the broccoli and cauliflower is tender, take an immersion blender (or potato masher) and blend half the chunks of veggies. You want the soup to be thick but also still have chunks of broccoli and cauliflower. Add the cheese and stir. Remove bay leaves and enjoy!
You can serve this with a side of garlic bread or in a bread bowl.