Veggie Pizza Boats
I don't know about your family but the Mancione family LOVES pizza. It is considered a food group in our house, a weekly cheat meal. Last night I was in the mood for pizza but did not want all of the calories. I had some zucchini and we always have a variety of cheeses on hand, it was that moment I knew...dinner was born. You can make this for yourself (like I did) or the whole family. Feel free to add cooked meat or other pizza topping favs as well!
1 tbsp olive oil
2-4 zucchini (1 per person)
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese per zucchini (whole milk mozzarella if you can find it!)
1 tbsp shredded parmesan cheese (per zucchini half)
1 jar tomato basil pasta sauce (I used Organics Tomato Basil)
1 tsp natures seasoning (or salt and pepper)
1. Preheat oven to 350 , cover a rimmed baking sheet with nonstick foil.
2. Wash and dry zucchini, cut in half. Scoop out interior of zucchini, place in a separate bowl.
3. Sprinkle zucchini boats with natures seasoning, place on a prepared baking sheet.
4. In a large frying pan, add olive oil.
5. Roughly chop the left over zucchini in the bowl from step 2.
6. Sauté zucchini for 4 minutes, add tomato sauce and cook for 2 more minutes.
7. Spoon zucchini and sauce into zucchini boats and sprinkle with cheese(s).
8. Roast for 20 minutes in the oven, watching the last 5 minutes that the cheese does not burn. The boats are finished when the cheese is melted and the zucchini is fork tender.
If you can find it, whole milk mozzarella browns better than part skim mozzarella.